Full Council 31 March 2015

November 13, 2015 3:57 pm Published by

Minutes of the Meeting of Costessey Town Council held on Tuesday 31 March 2015 at 7pm in the Costessey Centre, Longwater Lane, Costessey, NR8 5AH

PRESENT: Cllrs V Bell (Chairman), J Amis, D Bates, G Blundell, S Blundell, T East, L Glover,
S Hannant, D Lister, J Newby, P O’Connor, H Prochera, R Piesse, G Watt; H Elias (Clerk), four members of the public.

TO RECEIVE APOLOGIES
178/15: Apologies were accepted from Cllr A Todd (work commitment), and the Police.

TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
179/15: Cllrs V Bell & Cllr G Watt declared a non-pecuniary interest in the planning applications as they are members of South Norfolk Council Development Management Committee. They made it clear that, although a view may be taken by Costessey Town Council, they remain open to further information or views which might be presented at South Norfolk Council Development Management Committee meetings and they took no part in the voting.
180/15: Cllrs G Blundell & S Blundell declared a non-pecuniary interest in Min: 192/15 a) vi): Kestrel Avenue as they live in Kestrel Avenue
181/15: Cllrs S Hannant & R Piesse declared a non-pecuniary interest in Min:192/15 a) v) & x): as they live in Longwater Lane
182/15: Cllr P O’Connor declared a non-pecuniary interest in Min: 192/15 a) ii): as he lives in Gunton Lane

POLICE MATTERS
183/15: None

TO RECEIVE A PRESENTATION FROM MR GUNBY RE SETTING UP A MEMORIES CAFE
184/15: A national initiative has been introduced to set up dementia cafes; one has opened recently in Wymondham, and it was suggested that one could be set up in Costessey. Other local organisations do run similar groups and could be contacted to see if they were interested in joining together. A commercial off-shoot is that technology companies providing aids could show their appliances for the benefit of residents eg tracking devices or gadgets which switch off cookers, and they could donate money back to help run the cafes.
185/15: Thanks were expressed to Mr Gunby for his talk. Details of other relevant groups to be given to Mr Gunby. A Dementia Café Working Group was proposed, which could be set up after the elections. ACTION: Town Clerk

TO CONFIRM THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD AT 7PM ON
10 MARCH 2015
186/15: The minutes were agreed and signed with the following amendments:
Min 130/15 & Min 159/15: Declarations of interest: Cllrs D Bates & P O’Connor were added to the list of members of the Norfolk Wildlife Trust and/or the Friends of the Tud Valley. ACTION: Clerk

TO RECEIVE COMMITTEE MINUTES
187/15: None

TO RECEIVE UPDATES ON MATTERS IN THE MINUTES NOT LISTED BELOW
188/15: Min 147/15: The Enforcement Officer was to check the site the following day.
189/15: Min 156/15: Highways: £9m had been promised for flooding measures, some of which would come to Costessey.
190/15: Min 172/15: A Website Working Group should be set up. ACTION: Clerk & Deputy
191/15: RESOLVED TO ADJOURN THE MEETING FOR 15 MINUTES PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
Items raised: Norfolk CC Blue badge replacement had been swift. Thanks were expressed to Council. The meeting was reconvened

TO MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS ON PLANNING APPLICATIONS, AND RECEIVE INFORMATION ON APPEALS & OTHER PLANNING MATTERS
192/15: a) Planning applications for consideration:
i) 2015/0376/H: 9 West End Avenue, NR8 5BA – Extension to front of dwelling – Comment: This appears to be forward of the building line, so would not be particularly in keeping with the street scene. HOWEVER, IF PLANNING OFFICER IS HAPPY WITH THE ALIGNMENT, APPROVE
ii) 2015/0470/H: Mr K England – 86 Gunton Lane, NR5 0AG – Proposed single storey rear extension & first floor front extension – Comment: Cllr P O’Connor declared a non-pecuniary interest as he lives on Gunton Lane. House already has a front extension and this would sit on top, so would not dominate the street scene – APPROVE
iii) 2015/0506/H: Mr & Mrs Burton – The Coach House Annexe, Townhouse Road, NR8 5BX – Formation of 2 dormer windows to front elevation of garage & rear extension – Comment: Councillors were unsure if this was a listed building and asked for the Conservation Officer to look at this application in detail
iv) 2015/0507/A: Marks & Spencer Plc, Unit C, Alex Moorhouse Way, NR5 0JT Display of 3 no. illuminated adverts & 2 no. non-illuminated adverts – APPROVE
v) 2015/0566//H: Mr M Johnson – 102 Longwater Lane, NR5 0TH – Single Storey rear extension & detached garage – Cllr S Hannant & R Piesse declared a non-pecuniary interest as they live on Longwater Lane. It was noted that the previous application had been refused – APPROVE
vi) 2015/0570/F: Mr J Griffiths, Kier Living Ltd – Phase 3, Land between Fairway & Kestrel Avenue, South West Quarter, Queens Hills, NR8 – Comment: Cllrs G Blundell & S Blundell declared a non-pecuniary interest as they live on Kestrel Avenue. Parking was considered inadequate, although it complied with guidelines – APPROVE
vii) 2015/0608/H: Mr & Mrs K Webster – 13 Parklands, NR8 5AL – Single storey rear extension & patio – Comment: This is a large plot & the extension would be parallel to the front of the neighbouring property. Concerns were expressed that the slope of the land would be a visual intrusion for the neighbours – APPROVE
viii) 2015/0585/H: Mr S Watts – 9 Northview Road, NR5 0BG – Proposed rear extension & internal alterations – APPROVE
ix) 2015/0636/F: Mr D Thomson – West End Cue Club, 20 West End, NR8 5AG – Proposed single storey side & rear extensions – Comment: It was noted that complaints had been received about existing businesses re smells and advertising encroaching on the footway, which led to the Enforcement Officer being called, though since then the businesses had complied. This application would cause additional traffic movements in an already congested area opposite St Augustine’s school, which is expanding by three classrooms, and where there have been vehicle accidents. There would be no room for articulated delivery vehicles in the car park, and there is a water main running under the car park. The extension would be very close to the river (flood plain?). It was considered that the change of use classification was not clear for the new units. This would be over-commercialisation, over development of the site and an intensification of retail units. REFUSE
x) 2015/0527/H: Mr S Miles – 61, Longwater Lane, NR5 0TE – Proposed partial first floor & single storey rear extension, render to external surface & various modifications – Cllrs S Hannant & R Piesse declared a non-pecuniary interest as they live on Longwater Lane – APPROVE

193/15: b) Information & Planning decisions received from South Norfolk & Norfolk County Councils: (*Information only. No decisions needed). See separate sheet.
FINANCE MATTERS
194/15: a) To approve the accounts for February 2015 and receive a budget report:
At the end of February Council was 11/12 (91.7%) the way through the financial year and IS IN BUDGET to the tune of £102,180. Some cost centres are showing a potential overspend. Potential overspends are often balanced out by underspends in other cost centres and by varying amounts of income from hall hire and burial fees, which cannot be accurately predicted, although at this time of year it is easier to judge if income is on target. Queries were raised about the high cost of electricity at West Costessey Hall. The smart meter and solar panels should be checked to ensure they are working correctly & costs queried with the electricity supplier. ACTION: Clerk
RESOLVED to approve the accounts in the balance of £401,837.74

195/15: b) To approve the system for effective internal audit: A copy of the Internal Auditors’ checklist of items to review was considered, including corporate governance and management of risks as well as accounts procedures.
RESOLVED to approve the system for effective internal audit

196/15: c) To ratify the urgent replacement & payment of the gas boiler flue at the Costessey Centre (est. £2,200 + VAT): The metal flue had become corroded and had needed urgent replacement as it was leaking. The invoice had not yet been received.
RESOLVED to ratify the urgent work needed and approve the payment of the gas flue invoice estimated at £2,200 + VAT. ACTION: Town Clerk

197/15: d) To approve payment of the Collier Turf invoice for £1,929.55 + VAT: This was for grounds maintenance of cricket & football pitches.
RESOLVED to approve payment of the Collier Turf invoice for £1,929.55 + VAT

198/15: e) Stafford Hall floor refurbishment: Remedial action offer: Min: 145/15: & 107/15: The surface could be used and was not time constrained; work should be scheduled for the Christmas holidays or compensation for loss of revenues claimed if done at another time. ACTION: Clerk
199/15: Quotes were requested for work to enable the lectern cables to be disconnected. ACTION: Town Clerk

TO CONSIDER HIGHWAYS MATTERS
200/15: a) The Street: Road Closure: in a north-easterly direction from the junction with Townhouse Road 30/03/15-02/04/15 & 07/04/15-10/04/15. Noted.
201/15: b) West End Surfacing Works: Road Closure on or around Monday 27 July 2015 for 3 days. Noted.

TO RECEIVE CORRESPONDENCE (Verbal and written)
202/15: a) Resignation of Cllr Ian Boreham: The Chairman thanked Cllr Boreham in his absence for his hard work and dedication to Costessey. Mr Boreham had thanked the Chairman for Council’s support.
203/15: b) CPRE Norfolk Light Pollution Survey & Conference details: Noted. It was suggested that Bawburgh Lane was over-lit as it was a cul-de-sac and that the lighting could be restricted. Norfolk CC to be informed. ACTION: Town Clerk
RESOLVED to send Cllr Piesse to the conference as Council’s representative. ACTION: Cllr Piesse
204/15: c) Request for Cossey Posse Committee Members: The Committee met once a term. Cllrs H Prochera and R Piesse offered to sit on the committee for one year, but did not wish to take on the role of Chair, Secretary or Treasurer. It was suggested that the management of the two groups could be reviewed after one year with a view to Council running them directly. It was suggested that grants could be sought from churches. ACTION: Town Clerk
205/15: d) Larry Gray’s Fair: Proposed event at Spring Bank holiday, Sunday 24 May & Monday 25 May: Councillors were generally keen to keep an event going for the community as continuity in case the Council’s fete was resurrected in future. A charge for the pitch use and percentages of takings were considered, but discounted. Mr Gray would provide portaloos, security and first aid, but no beer tent, and would acquire a TEN licence if required. He is covered by his existing insurance.
RESOLVED to allow Larry Gray’s Fair to offer the event as proposed without charge, on condition that compensation would be required for any damage to the field. ACTION: Cllr O’Connor, Head Groundsman and Town Clerk

COUNCILLORS’ QUESTION TIME & UPDATES OF MATTERS NOT ON AGENDA
206/15: Chinese Lanterns: CTC does not allow naked flames on its premises apart from birthday candles as they are generally well-supervised and blown out within minutes. This policy includes barbecues and Chinese lanterns.
207/15: River Tud near Rogers Farm bridge: A tree has fallen in the river; the Environment Agency is aware and is keeping a “watching brief”. It will contact the landowner. The Friends of the River Tud meet on Thursday 9 April when it can be discussed further.
208/15: Marriot’s Way: Work is being undertaken near Black Bridge.
209/15: Saffron Play Park at Grove Avenue: This is looking scruffy and needs maintenance. ACTION: Town Clerk
210/15: Dereham Road central refuge by Lodge Farm Phase 2: This does not appear to be in the expected location and should be queried. ACTION: Town Clerk
211/15: William Frost Way: one post of the new roundabout sign is planted in the centre of the footway making it difficult for wheelchairs / double buggies to manoeuvre round it. ACTION: Town Clerk
212/15: Queen’s Hills: possible separation of parish: This is likely to be considered by South Norfolk in 2016 as part of its wider boundary review. The land was originally sold as “West Costessey”, with the housebuilders choosing “Queen’s Hills” as a marketing tool.
213/15: Litter along A47 & Dereham Road woods: A clean-up was requested. ACTION: Clerk
214/15: Townhouse Road flooding: ditches appear to be cut out with a machine, but the incoming runnels set at intervals, which are supposed to allow water to run off the road into the ditch, are blocked, so rain water runs down the road and floods at the bottom of the hill near the bridge instead of being taken into the ditch system. ACTION: Town Clerk
215/15: Gunton Land flooding: Cllr V Bell to visit resident in Gunton Lane. ACTION: Cllr V Bell

216/15: THE DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING WAS CONFIRMED as Tuesday 21 April 2015 at 7pm. Some simple refreshments will be provided and photographs taken to record the last meeting of the current council before the elections. ACTION: Cllr P O’Connor & G Blundell

217/15: RESOLVED TO EXCLUDE THE PRESS AND PUBLIC FROM THE MEETING UNDER THE PUBLIC BODIES (ADMISSIONS TO MEETINGS) ACT 1960 on the grounds that it is not in the public interest to disclose discussion on the items below
The members of the public left the meeting.

*THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WERE DISCUSSED IN CONFIDENCE / IN CAMERA

TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE ON THE WEST COSTESSEY HALL ADOPTED DRAIN CONTRACT ISSUES
218/15: A quote has been requested for sub-level tarmac in case the Council is required to resurface the trench. Contract administrators to be asked to investigate further.

TO CONSIDER LAND TRANSFERS & LAND REGISTRATION
219/15: a) Queen’s Hills & b) South Norfolk parcels: No further updates since last meeting.

220/15: The meeting closed at 9:23pm

Chairman: Date:

Tags:

Categorised in:

This post was written by Nigel Bailey

Comments are closed here.