Full Council 22 September 2015

November 13, 2015 3:41 pm Published by

Minutes of the Meeting of Costessey Town Council held on Tuesday 22 September 2015 at 7pm in the Costessey Centre, Longwater Lane, Costessey, NR8 5AH

PRESENT: Cllrs T East, (Chairman), P O’Connor (Vice-Chair), J Amis, M Bedford, G Blundell, S Blundell, P Cooper, L Glover, D Gunby, L Kneller, D Lister, J Newby, R Piesse, H Prochera; H Elias (Clerk). Thirteen members of the public; one Police officer.

TO RECEIVE APOLOGIES
521/15: Apologies were accepted from Cllrs S Burton (work), S Hannant (away)

TO RECEIVE DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
522/15: Cllrs J Amis & S Blundell declared a non-pecuniary interest in Min: 532/15: a) Planning applications as they may be called to sit on SNC Development Management Committee
523/15: Cllr D Lister declared a non-pecuniary interest in Min: 530/15: Public Participation
and 532/15 a) Planning 2015/1769/H: as he lives in Townhouse Road

TO CONSIDER MATTERS FOR THE POLICE
524/15: The crime figures were presented. Most of the increase was accounted for by crime at the Sundown Festival, where there had been two drug related incidents and 20 assaults. It was noted that although many of the official staged music events stopped within the times stipulated in the licence, there were many unofficial musical parties which continued later. Noise complaints should be reported to South Norfolk Council. New Day event had controlled their music and there had been no crimes reported at their event. Fake £50 notes were circulating in Costessey and the wider area. Items for the Police to be e-mailed to the Clerk to pass on to the Safer Neighbourhood Team. E-mail: sntcostessey@norfolk.pnn.police.uk Non-emergency Police no: 101.
525/15: The PC left at 7.09pm

TO CONFIRM THE MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE COUNCIL HELD ON 1 SEPTEMBER
526/15: The minutes were agreed and signed with the following amendment: Min 487/15: the letter “p” was removed from “Thomson”.

TO RECEIVE COMMITTEE MINUTES
527/15: a) Finance, Budgets & Staffing: Minutes were accepted.
528/15: A member of the public arrived at 7.11pm

TO RECEIVE UPDATES ON MATTERS IN THE MINUTES NOT LISTED BELOW (no resolutions)
529/15: Min: 487/15: The Clerk reminded members that minutes were the record of the decisions made in a meeting and that if two committees discussed the same issue and came to different conclusions that had to be recorded. Changes in minutes of one committee should not be made by another committee if they are the true record of that committee’s decisions.

530/15: RESOLVED TO ADJOURN THE MEETING FOR 15 MINUTES PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
Items raised: Dismay that cricket could no longer be played at Longwater Lane, due to extra costs of materials, the type of treatment needed and the need to replace specialist machinery. The item had been referred to the Property & Environment Committee meeting on Monday 28 September. Townhouse Road development discharge of drainage scheme – surface water to be channelled into the River Tud, not in compliance with the Inspector’s conditions. The Environment Agency had originally put a “Stop” notice against the drainage application due to contamination concerns. (CTC not a statutory consultee). The meeting was reconvened.
531/15: Two members of the public left at 7.39pm.

TO MAKE RECOMMENDATIONS ON PLANNING APPLICATIONS, AND RECEIVE INFORMATION ON APPEALS & OTHER PLANNING MATTERS
532/15: a) Planning applications for consideration:
i) 2015/1769/H: Mr & Mrs Mears – Hillcrest, Townhouse Road, NR8 5BY – Proposed garden room, front two storey extension & veranda to existing dwelling – APPROVE
ii) 2015/1854/F: Mr V A Nung – 20 West End, NR8 5AG – RETROSPECTIVE application for removal of two extractor systems & installation of one new extractor system – Comment: A
query was raised over the design / fitting of the new extractor. Councillors believed that there should be a cap or cowl on the end of the flue to prevent water ingress damaging the equipment. Could this be checked please? – APPROVE
iii) Broadland DC: ENQ/2015/1213: Anglian Water – Taverham Mill Fisheries, Costessey Road, Taverham, NR8 6TA – Approval of Details Reserved by Condition 5 (Routing Agreement for Larger Vehicles). 15 (Surface Water Drainage) & 16 (Archaeology) of (Breckland) PP 20131566 –
Condition 5: (Routing Agreement for larger vehicles) – APPROVE ONLY SUBJECT TO CONDITIONS BEING IMPOSED THAT THE ENTRANCE / EXIT SPLAY IS ENGINEERED SO THAT IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR LARGE VEHICLES TO TURN RIGHT OUT OF THE SITE. Comment: Given that a large portion of vehicles will wish to access the A47 it is essential that the layout takes into account the practicalities and likelihood that drivers will want to travel the shortest route between A&B. Signing on its own, and recommended changes to Sat Nav systems are unlikely to deter large vehicle drivers from travelling through Costessey to access the A47 & A11. A physical barrier biased towards the left turn is necessary to force larger vehicles to turn left. The current drawings do not show this and the splay should be re-designed to ensure the left turn is made.
Condition 15: (Surface Water drainage) – REFUSE on the following grounds: The site is located on a flood plain and floods regularly to the extent that the road is closed every year due to flooding. Storage tank would be located below the water level and so is unlikely to prevent the regular serious flooding that occurs at this site.
Condition 16: APPROVE
iv) 2015/2058/F: Mr G Fox – Land north of 9 Kabin Road – Redevelopment of land with 2 no. two-storey dwellings – Comment: Plans are rather roughly drawn and Property 1 appears to be forward of the building line of adjacent existing property and should be moved back to be in line. DESIGN ISSUES: it is not clear if there are two visitors’ car parking spaces at the far side of the garages and if they are allocated to a particular property, or if the additional parking is the space in front of the garages. The Design & Access Statement mentions wheel chair access to the front doors. However, the bins are not located in a disabled friendly place and access from the garages along a hoggin road is not suitable for wheel chairs. The garages do not appear to be much wider than a car. APPROVE SUBJECT TO DESIGN CHANGES TO ADDRESS DESIGN CONCERNS RAISED
v) 2015/2063/A: Mr N Fraser – Unit A2, Alex Moorhouse Way, NR5 0JT – 2 no. internally illuminated fascia signs to front elevation of existing retail unit – APPROVE

533/15: b) Information & Planning decisions received from South Norfolk & Norfolk County Councils: (*Information only. (No decisions needed) See separate sheet. Noted.
A query was raised as to how DNC would enforce the parking / garage restriction at 7 Silvo Road.

TO RECEIVE A REPORT ON THE FETE & FAIR 2016
534/15: Costs had risen, but the same amount (£3,000) had been put in the budget as for the opening day ceremony in 2010. The previous PA systems had proved inadequate. First Aid cover had been booked. Volunteers on the day are always needed.
TO RECEIVE DISTRICT COUNCILLORS’ REPORTS
535/15: See attached detailed report. Noted. Thanks to DCllrs V Bell, J Amis & S Blundell. It was noted that press reports that South Norfolk had not built any houses was erroneous as responsibility had been passed to Saffron Housing, which had built affordable homes. Cllr T East to contact DCllr J Mooney following his accident. ACTION: Cllr T East

FINANCE MATTERS
536/15: a) To approve the Accounts for August 2015 and receive a budget report: At the end of August Council was 5/12 (41.67%) of the way through the financial year and is in budget by £165,594. Council has received the first instalment of the precept (£253,888) and the whole of the Precept Support Grant (£50,467). Some cost centres show a potential overspend, though many will even out over the year eg subscriptions and the insurance premium, which are paid annually at the beginning of the financial year. The potential overspends are offset by higher than anticipated income from hall hires at Breckland Hall (50.8%), The Costessey Centre (47.6%), West Costessey Hall (67.1%) and by Burial & Memorial fees (95.6% & 67.8% respectively); these are sporadic and cannot be accurately predicted.
RESOLVED to approve the accounts in the balance of £596,534.21

537/15: b) To approve the LRC invoice for replacement chairs for the Jerningham Room: It was noted that these had been part funded by District Councillor grants of £500 from Cllr J Amis and A Pond, with a further £1,013.36 from the Town Council.
RESOLVED to approve payment of the LRC invoice of £2,013.36 + VAT. ACTION: Clerk

TO CONSIDER HIGHWAYS MATTERS
538/15: a) To agree the Parish Partnerships 2016-17 project following NCC’s Response: Suggestions included chevrons by Costessey Mill following an accident when a car drove into the wall after failing to negotiate the bend; an extension of the new bollards along West End to prevent dangerous parking, and options to improve the raised table and crossing point outside the Costessey Centre. All options to be discussed with the Highways Engineer on the tour the following day. ACTION: Town Clerk
539/15: b) QH: Poethlyn Drive Bus Lane Order: Noted with delight.
540/15: c) Bus Route Changes: Konect No. 5 Bus now crosses the city to go onwards to Wroxham. To date this has been a reliable service. It is unlikely to be as efficient if it has to cross the city. DCllr Bell to contact Konect Bus Operations Manager. Queen’s Hills Travel Plan Manager to be informed. ACTION: DCllr V Bell & Town Clerk
541/15: d) Potholes for £300 – Norfolk CC suggestion: Article in paper noted and queried.
542/15: e) A47 slip road to northern Longwater Interchange roundabout: Although the widening of the A1074 Dereham Road is not complete it was known that there was confusion about the lanes on the A47 slip road which could be improved by altering the lane markings so that traffic for Norwich travelled forward in the right hand lane from the roundabout and the dedicated left hand lane up William Frost Way fed directly onto the left hand lane without having to give way. To be raised on the Highways Tour the following day. ACTION: Town Clerk

TO RECEIVE CORRESPONDENCE (verbal and written)
543/15: a) Norwich Heating Oil Club: Noted. It was suggested that a co-operative purchasing organisation should be investigated for the Town Council. Cllr Gunby to send details to the Office. ACTION: Cllr D Gunby

TO RAISE MATTERS OF STRATEGIC IMPORTANCE (for discussion only – No resolutions)
544/15: None

545/15: THE DATE OF THE NEXT MEETING WAS CONFIRMED: AS TUESDAY 13 OCTOBER 2015 AT 7PM

546/15: RESOLVED TO EXCLUDE THE PRESS AND PUBLIC FROM THE MEETING under The Public Bodies (Admissions To Meetings) Act 1960 on the grounds that it is not in the public interest to disclose discussion on the items below
547/15: DCllr V Bell left the meeting at 8.27pm
*THE FOLLOWING ITEMS WERE DISCUSSED IN CONFIDENCE / IN CAMERA

TO RATIFY THE APPOINTMENT OF A GROUNDS STAFF / HANDY PERSON
548/15: Following the interviews and practical sessions the Interview Panel had appointed Mr Steven Lester to the post of Grounds Staff / Handy Person, references had been received and Mr Lester had accepted the post in writing. Mr Lester would be on the payroll from 3 October, with his first day in Costessey on Monday 5 October. Cllr D Lister congratulated the Finance, Budgets & Staffing Committee and the Interviewing Panel on a professional process.
RESOLVED to ratify the appointment of Mr Steven Lester to the post of Grounds Staff / Handy Person
TO CONSIDER LAND TRANSFERS & LAND REGISTRATION
549/15: a) Queen’s Hills: Registration of the different land parcels was taking time. The drafts for the transfer of the land on which West Costessey Hall stands are being double checked.
550/15: b) South Norfolk parcels: Documents are almost ready for signing and the item is to be included on the next agenda. Final details need clarifying. A completion statement will be sent out shortly.
551/15: The meeting closed at 8.45pm
Chairman: Date:

Tags:

Categorised in:

This post was written by Nigel Bailey

Comments are closed here.